The Thunderbird crew has launched Thunderbird 68.zero, a brand new major model of the desktop email client that is going to exchange the present department Thunderbird 60.x in the long term.
Thunderbird 68.zero is a major update that modifications fairly just a few issues; that explains why it is not pushed by way of the email client’s automated updating system at this time limit. Thunderbird customers who’re within the new model might obtain it from the project website to put in it manually. Organisations might level the browser to the Thunderbird for Organisations web page as an alternative to obtain a MSI package deal or the 64-bit installer for Windows.
Check out our information on upgrading 32-bit Thunderbird to 64-bit in the event you nonetheless run a 32-bit copy.
The crew plans to push Thunderbird 68.1 by way of the automated update techniques.
Note: it is extremely beneficial that you just again up profile and knowledge folders. If issues go fallacious, you could take away the brand new model, set up the previous once more, and restore the backup.
The launch notes record new options, modifications, and fixes. One of the major variations to Thunderbird 60.x is that add-ons might solely work if the add-on builders have tailored them. Any add-on that has not been tailored shall be disabled while you run Thunderbird 68.zero.
While you may examine that in a operating copy of Thunderbird 68.zero, you may additionally examine the official add-ons repository to seek out out if put in extensions are listed as suitable with the brand new model of the email client.
I do not run a variety of extensions in Thunderbird however all three put in extensions — Compact Header, Manually Sort folders, and Subject Manager — have been disabled robotically after the improve to Thunderbird 68.zero as a result of they don’t seem to be suitable with the model of the email client.
Another change on this regard is that Thunderbird 68.zero helps solely WebExtension themes or dictionaries.
As far as new options are involved, there are fairly just a few:
- You might now set up and use totally different language packs in Thunderbird. You must set intl.multilingual.enabled to True first within the Options and should then choose language packs within the superior choices of the email client.
- A brand new “mark all folders learn” possibility for all email accounts within the right-click context menu.
- Downgrade safety to dam profile entry when earlier variations of Thunderbird are launched. You might override this by beginning Thunderbird with the –allow-downgrade parameter.
- In chat, particular person spellcheckers could also be chosen for every dialog.
- File hyperlink attachments will be linked to once more as an alternative of importing them.
- Filters might run periodically and filter logging has improved.
- Support for Yandex OAuth 2 authentication.
- New Policy Engine utilizing Windows Group Policy or JSON information.
- TCP keepalive for the IMAP protocol.
- Full unicode assist for MAPI interfaces.
- Support for MAPISendMailW.
- Time Zone knowledge in Calendar might embody previous and future modifications.
The record of modifications and fixes is equally lengthy. Noteworthy modifications embody that choices are displayed in a tab and never window, that there is a brand new Hamburger menu to launch sure instruments and run actions proper from it, theme enhancements together with a darkish message record and thread pane possibility, improved phishing detection for messages with “sure varieties”, and enhancements to rip-off warnings.
The auto-compacting thresholds has been elevated from 20 Megabytes to 200 Megabytes however you may nonetheless change the worth within the Options underneath Network & Disk Space.
You can try the full release notes here.
I made the swap earlier right this moment and like the brand new launch though it disabled all three extensions that I used beforehand. Thunderbird 68.zero feels lots snappier and quicker, and whereas that is definitely simply my impression after a brief interval of use, it appears as if a few of the efficiency points might be a factor of the previous.
I would nonetheless counsel to check the brand new launch earlier than making the swap particularly in the event you depend on sure extensions.
Now You: What is your tackle the brand new launch?