Startpage, a preferred privateness centered search engine that operates out of the Netherlands, printed a brand new FAQ on its web sites through which a number of solutions are supplied relating to the change of ownership that occurred just lately.
Privacy One Group Ltd acquired a stake within the firm which is owned by the promoting firm System1. System1 states that it makes use of “technology to make promoting higher and safer, whereas respecting shopper privateness”.
The change raised fears and questions, particularly since Startpage or System1/Privacy One Group Ltd supplied little info about specifics off the deal. We asked important questions here. and others have performed the identical.
Startpage published an article on its web site just lately that makes an attempt to reply a few of these questions and reassure customers of the service that the deal has no privateness implications.
Here are the principle revelations of the article:
- Startpage stays headquartered within the Netherlands/EU and the Startpage founders will proceed to run the corporate.
- Startpage founders have “management over all Startpage privateness implementations”. The firm notes that “the Startpage founders could unilaterally reject any potential technical change that might negatively have an effect on consumer privateness” and that “discover have to be given to finish customers for any privacy-related change”.
- Startpage consumer IP addresses usually are not shared “with any get together”.
- The means commercial is served has not modified.
- System1 owns a majority stake in Startpage.
- System1’s “companies usually don’t contain constructing or sustaining consumer profiles and little consumer info is processed or saved inside System1”.
- Privacy One Group Limited is a Delaware registered firm.
To summarize: Startpage states hat nothing has modified with regard to how the service operates with regard to consumer privateness.
The publication leads to one other query: why has System1 / Privacy One Group Limited made an funding in Startpage? What is the motivation behind it?
Startpage makes an attempt to reply that query as effectively by offering a press release of the Chairman Michael Blend and the CEO Ian Weingarten of System1.
In it, the corporate representatives state that the funding was made ” as a result of we consider Startpage serves a essential position in sustaining shopper privateness, and we hope our sources may also help Startpage convey privateness to hundreds of thousands of recent customers around the globe”.
The entire state of affairs may have been averted if Startpage would have been clear about the deal. The publication reveals essential info about the deal and will reassure some customers. Others could require extra info or clarification, e.g. whether or not information is shared with Privacy One Group Limited or System1.
Now You: What is your tackle the event?