Quicktext is an add-on for the Thunderbird email consumer that lets you create templates that you could insert into emails at any time.
If you ship a number of emails or reply to many in a day, you understand how time-consuming it may be. However, if you use a phrase or paragraph a number of instances, or reply to comparable sorts of mails regularly, Quicktext will help you save a while.
It is an add-on for Thunderbird and here is how to use it. Quicktext is suitable with all latest variations of Thunderbird together with the recently released Thunderbird 68.0. You may have to click on on “variations” on the extensions web page to checklist all accessible extension variations.
Quicktext had a premium model at one level, but it surely now not exists. The add-on was made open-source and was picked up by Mozilla’s personal Thunderbird Council who now preserve it. All options which have been as soon as behind a paywall, at the moment are accessible in the free model. The add-on’s Wiki/assist part is sort of nonexistent. But Quicktext is definitely fairly simple to use.
To get began with Quicktext, you will want to entry the add-on’s settings. To accomplish that:
- Click on the “Write” button, and then on “Tools” in the composer window.
- Select Quicktext.
You will see three tabs right here: General, Templates and Script.
The General tab has just a few settings for the add-on. You do not want to do something right here for the time being.
The Templates tab is the first work-area of Quicktext. You can add teams and templates from this display screen. You will want a minimum of one group for the add-on to work. Select/create a gaggle from the side-bar to add a template.
Note: Groups are type of like folders in which Templates are saved.
The template editor can be utilized for customizing the templates utilizing the next attributes:
- Title – This is for your reference; choose any title, e.g. Work, Events, Mission to Mars 2029.
- Content – This is the message snippet that you need to add rapidly to your email. The content material will be in Text or HTML.
- Variables – Explained under
- Shortcut- You can assign a shortcut to the template from Zero-9, the template can then be rapidly added to an email by urgent Alt + the chosen key.
- Subject- Automatically add the customized topic content material to the email
- Keyword – Similar to shortcut, however you want to sort the phrase in the composer and press TAB, to add the template to the email.
- Attachments – You can choose a file on your laptop and the add-on will connect it to the email.
About variables; let me clarify how that works. Click on it and you will see varied choices (To, From, Attachments, and so on). These comprise tags that are utilized by the add-on to determine the related content material from context and add it to the email. Here is an inventory of supported tags in Quicktext.
In my instance, I am going to add a “Positive Reply” template for a gaggle known as “Press Contacts”.
- I need Quicktext to routinely determine the recipient’s identify (from the To: deal with) and add it to the email, so I choose Variables > To > First Name.
- Next, I sort some textual content content material.
- Finally, I choose From > First Name because the variable, to make it get my identify from the account settings.
Quicktext for Thunderbird cheat sheet
This is how the template will seem, it might not make sense now. But as soon as you use it you’ll see the way it works.
Thanks for the heads up, I am going to ship you a hyperlink to the article when it is printed.[[FROM=firstname]]
Let’s say I am sending the email from the above instance to somebody known as John Smith, thanking him for sending me a press launch. I open the Write window in Thunderbird and use the template known as Positive Reply. This is what it should appear like.
All I had to do was choose the recipient’s email deal with and choose the template. The email was prepared to ship in a split-second. You can use this for your personal messages, all you want to do is about up the template and content material accordingly.
Tip: Click on the General tab in Quicktext Settings and allow the “View Quicktext-menu on right-click”. This is extremely helpful for accessing the templates rapidly.
Ways to add templates saved in Quicktext
You can use any of the next strategies to add the templates:
- Right-click anyplace in the Write window, and choose Quicktext > select the template.
- Click on the Group identify from the Quicktext toolbar (its simply above the textual content discipline of the compose window) and choose the template.
- Use the shortcut combo. For e.g. Alt + 1
- Type the key phrase and press TAB.
If you have some coding information, you can add customized scripts in Quicktext template editor’s Script tab.
Note: The FROM attribute has some points, it would not add my identify though it’s saved in the account settings, and the vCard.
Quicktext is an excellent useful extension for Thunderbird customers who compose a big variety of emails commonly and if textual content is reused. It is nice for enterprise use because it accelerates the usually monotonous technique of writing emails or replying to emails, however dwelling customers could discover the extension helpful as effectively, e.g. to rapidly add a snippet to emails.
Now You: What are your favourite Thunderbird extensions?