Sometimes, while you take a look at a notably nice photo, it’s possible you’ll marvel the place it was taken. While a picture of the la tour Eiffel, the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Kremlin reveals immediately the place it was taken, the identical can’t be mentioned for places which are much less engraved in our minds.
If the photographer doesn’t reveal the place the photo was taken, you’ve gotten little choices to seek out that out on your individual. While you may do a reverse picture search and hopefully discover matching images that reveal extra, it’s typically the case that the effort is fruitless.
So-called EXIF information or metadata could present further clues, supplied that the information has been saved in the first place and never been deleted by the photographer or editor of the photo earlier than it was revealed. Tools like Exif Pilot Editor or ExifTool present enhancing choices.
Nirsoft up to date two Windows tools this week that introduce a helpful choice to lookup the photo’s location on Google Maps. The characteristic works just for .jpg photos and provided that GPS data is out there as metadata. While that limits the usefulness considerably, as many images will not be supplied as JPG photos or could not include the essential GPS data, it’s higher than not having such an choice in any respect.
All it’s important to do to make use of the new characteristic is the following:
- Download both of the following tools: PropertySystemView or ExifDataView. Both applications are free and transportable. The core distinction between the two applications is that ExifDataView could solely learn metadata of JPG photos whereas PropertySystemView metadata of different recordsdata, e.g. Office paperwork, as nicely. ExifDataView is suitable as much as Windows eight.1, PropertySystemView helps all supported variations of Windows and a few unsupported ones (notably Windows 7).
- Extract the downloaded archive and run the utility on the system.
- Open a jpg photo in the utility that you just simply ran.
- Right-click in the essential window of the program after the photo has been loaded and choose “Open location in Google Maps”.
- The program opens the location utilizing Google Maps in the default net browser of the system.
While it’s potential to examine the data manually to open the location on Google Maps, it’s normally faster to make use of one in every of the two Nirsoft applications for that.
Now You: do you employ Nirsoft tools? If so, which?