Veteran Firefox customers could have fond recollections of Mozilla Labs, an experimental platform for all issues Firefox.
Projects just like the Firefox Sync, the excellent Ubiquity or Prospector, Persona, Test Pilot, or Firefox Share have been developed underneath the Mozilla Labs umbrella. Not all tasks discovered their approach into Firefox natively or have been maintained after launch; nonetheless, Mozilla Labs performed an necessary half in Firefox improvement.
Mozilla ended help for Mozilla Labs in 2014; no new tasks have been launched and the web site was become an archive.
Fast ahead to 2018. Mozilla relaunched Mozilla Labs, a spot to “create, check, innovate, repeat”. Point your browser to https://labs.mozilla.org to open the brand new Mozilla Labs web site on the Internet. Mozilla made the choice to determine the reinstated Mozilla Labs on a brand new area as a substitute of resurrecting the now-archived copy of the outdated Mozilla Labs.
Interested customers can browse the listing of current projects on the “Explore” web page. Projects deal with digital actuality, speech and voice, and the Internet of Things at the moment:
- Firefox Reality — A model of the Firefox internet browser made particularly for digital actuality environments.
- Firefox Listen — A pay attention technology that’s built-in in Pocket already; it turns textual content into speech when activated by the person.
- Common Voice — A “voice donation” challenge to enhance digital assistants.
- Hubs by Mozilla — Hubs by Mozilla is a Virtual Reality chatroom that’s appropriate with any VR headset and internet browser. Users could be part of chatrooms or create customized ones.
- Project Things — A Framework — Things Framework — that builders could use by way of the Web Thing API.
- WebXR Viewer — An augmented actuality viewer for the Web. It is accessible for Apple’s iOS working system solely at this cut-off date.
- Spoke by Mozilla — A software to create digital scenes through the use of 3D content material from google Poly, Sketchfab and different sources.
The new Mozilla Labs focuses on tasks in areas that transcend the net browser. While some have Firefox of their title, solely one of many tasks is at the moment associated to Firefox (Firefox Reality).
It seems that Mozilla reestablished Mozilla Labs for tasks that aren’t Firefox-based. The group makes use of Test Pilot tasks to check new options which will discover their approach into the browser.
From the appears of it, Mozilla Labs is a spot for non-Firefox primarily based tasks for essentially the most half.
Now You: Should Mozilla deal with Firefox improvement? (through Sören Hentzschel)