Linux Mint 19.three has been released. The replace of the favored Linux distribution is offered within the flavors Xfce, Mate and Cinnamon as often. The new model of the Linux distribution is a long run assist launch that can be supported till 2023.
New and present customers may download the ISO pictures from the official mission obtain website. The new model introduces a number of modifications and new options, brings refinements, and bug fixes amongst different issues.
Tip: Check out the how to upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3 guide for directions on upgrading present installations.
All three desktop environments function the identical core that’s made up of a Linux kernel 5.zero and is predicated on Ubuntu 18.04.
Let us begin with one thing that’s now not included by default in any of the Linux Mint editions: GIMP. The picture editor is now not preinstalled however since we’re speaking Linux, will be put in identical to another Linux software with a few clicks. Our guide on installing third-party software in Linux Mint could assist you out in case you might be in want of steerage.
The builders of Linux Mint made the choice to concentrate on the less complicated app Drawing which helps primary picture modifying choices solely. Windows customers could also be reminded of Paint, which is included natively in Windows, and third-party picture editors akin to Paint.web, Photoshop or GIMP which might be extra highly effective however have to be put in manually.
Another change that can be famous by many Linux Mint customers is the concentrate on the media participant Celluloid within the new launch. Previous variations of Linux Mint supplied the app Xplayer as an alternative. Celluloid is a MPV frontend and presents higher efficiency and acceleration based on the crew.
The apps that received changed doesn’t finish right here. The word taking software Tomboy has been changed with Gnote. Gnote presents the identical performance — with the notable exception of the system tray icon — however is predicated on trendy technology not like Tomboy (which, amongst different issues didn’t assist HIDPI).
Support for HIDPI is nearly accomplished within the new launch; it’s supported by all purposes apart from Hexchat and Qt5Settings.
Linux Mint 19.three customers could set time zones within the language settings together with locale and area.
Linux Mint 19.three contains a new System Reports function that shows an icon within the system tray space. The app is designed to tell customers of the system about potential points. The crew notes that it could trace at lacking language packs, multimedia codecs, or newer drivers which might be out there.
Improvements for all editions:
- New standing tray software XAppStatusIcon that helps HIDPI, assist for darkish themes and extra.
- Blueberry app enhancements with higher detection and error reporting.
- Hardware detection device added to the BIOS Menu.Also, redesigned boot menu.
- Panel Zones could now have their very own textual content and symbolic icon sizes.
- Nemo context menu can now be personalized so as to add or take away entries.
- Improved startup animation and velocity optimizations.
- Option to disable touchpad when a mouse is related.
- Various different enhancements throughout the board (see what is new for an overview)
- Latest Xfce four.14 included which helps HIDPI.
- Window handle helps vsync, HIDPI, and for Xinput2.
- Panel and desktop assist RandR’s monitor function (improved window grouping, new default clock format, orientation choice, superior the wallpaper and extra).
- New settings dialog to handle colour profiles.
- Display settings assist the saving and loading of multi-display configurations.
- Session supervisor helps hybrid-sleep and comes with different enhancements.
- Thumbnails helps Fujifilm RAF format.
- Application finder could also be opened in a single window.
- Notification service will get logging and don’t disturb choice.
- Various different enhancements throughout the board. See what is new in Xfce here.
Now You:Have you tried the brand new Linux Mint 19.three already? What is your impression?