Windows 10 is not any stranger to errors. But this one was new, and never a blue display screen error. When I attempted to run the Calculator utility, it advised me this. “You’ll need a new app to open this calculator”. I need an app to open an app? What?
Notice that the OK button is greyed out.
So, I made a decision to search the Microsoft Answers neighborhood. That’s the place customers go together with their error messages, and certain sufficient I discovered a thread detailing the very same drawback. A few Microsoft Agents had posted some fixes, which I hoped would fix the problem.
Here’s a listing of what I attempted, and did not work:
- The first locations I seemed for a fix was Windows Update and the Windows Store app. Since my Windows 10 is new (had reset the PC a few days in the past), I assumed that there was some pending replace or one thing. But it was all up to date.
- Running the System File Checker as an administrator is at all times a good step in troubleshooting Windows associated errors. And, it turned out all the things was nice, although the Calculator app would not run.
- Next I tried the DISM command in an elevated Command Prompt “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth”. This too did not resolve my drawback.
- The Windows Store reset command, “Wsreset.exe” which you’ll be able to execute from the “Run” software (Win + R), additionally failed to assist me.
- As a last resort, I attempted operating the next instructions one after the other, in an elevated Powershell:
- Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsCalculator | Remove-AppxPackage
- Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsCalculator | Add-AppxPackage
I rebooted the pc, hoping it might have mounted the problem. Running Calc.exe advised me it did not fix it. I needed to “Reset” the Calculator from Settings > Apps & Features, however the app wasn’t even listed there. This is once I started questioning if this was a extra sophisticated situation than I had believed it to be.
How to fix You’ll need a new app to open this calculator
And this second was additionally when I discovered the fix, and I actually laughed out loud when it labored. Instead of closing the pop-up, I hovered over to the “Look for an app within the Microsoft Store” choice and clicked on it. It opened the Windows Store app, and displayed the Windows Calculator web page.
It had a get button, clicking which, confirmed an set up choice. I clicked that, and instantly obtained a notification within the Action Center telling me that Windows Calculator is prepared to use, and confirmed a launch choice. I did not use that, I needed Calc.exe to work once I clicked it, and certain sufficient it did.
The fix could sound actually apparent to you, however the cause why we’re sharing this is as a result of it may probably fix different default apps in Windows 10. Also, why on earth has Microsoft greyed out the OK button? Surely, there will likely be a few individuals, like me, who did not understand that the “Look for an app within the Microsoft Store” is the fix. The phrasing of the choice can be one thing that might confuse some customers. Most individuals would assume that the error message is illogical. Something like “You need to obtain Calculator once more” or “This app wants to be re-downloaded” may very well be higher.