Mozilla released Firefox 67.0 recently and built-in in that launch got here a — long-overdue — function that assigned unique profiles to each Firefox installation on the system.
The change mustn’t have affected present Firefox installations and profiles on the system however reports are coming in from everywhere in the Internet that this isn’t the case for some customers of the browser.
Mozilla’s implementation assigns a distinctive profile to any new Firefox set up. That is a good factor for techniques with a number of Firefox installations as you do not have to create and assign profiles for these installations manually anymore utilizing the profile supervisor or different means.
Firefox makes use of the set profile from that second on throughout begin in order that it’s now not needed to tell the browser what to do (both manually on begin or by utilizing shortcut parameters).
Some Firefox customers who upgraded the browser to model 67.zero seen that it began with a blank profile; all their user information, bookmarks, open tabs, passwords, historical past, and different information appeared gone.
The downside that these customers skilled is that Firefox assigned a new default profile to the set up; this could not have occurred, however it seems to have occurred to some.
Good news is that the user information will not be deleted or gone. All that’s wanted is to assign the previous profile to the set up of Firefox to restore it.
You have two primary choices to achieve this, one makes use of the Firefox interface to change the assigned profile, the second hundreds it utilizing a parameter that you just add to the Firefox shortcut.
Option 1: Set a default profile for Firefox within the interface
- Load about:profiles within the Firefox tackle bar. The web page that opens shows all recognized profiles and the paths assigned to them.
- The web page shows the present profile on the prime and any unused profile (that the present Firefox set up doesn’t contact) under.
- Locate the earlier user profile. If you can’t find it utilizing the folder title, you might use trial and error till you get the appropriate profile, or use open folder to browse the profile folder and test it out.
- Select “Set as default profile” to assign a new profile to the set up. You may use “launch profile in a new browser” to test it out with out switching to it completely.
Option 2: Adding a profile parameter to the Firefox shortcut
The second choice forces Firefox to load a particular profile or the profile supervisor on startup.
- Windows customers right-click on the Firefox shortcut and choose Properties from the context menu.
- The Shortcut tab lists the goal, and it’s right here that you just add the directions.
- Add the parameter -p -no-remote to the top of the goal line (go away a area) forces Firefox to open the profile supervisor on begin that shows a record of all out there profiles. The parameter -no-remote allows you to run a number of Firefox installations side-by-side.
- Add the parameter -p profile -no-remote to load a particular profile instantly. You want to substitute “profile” with the title of the profile. Check about:profiles to discover out concerning the names.