The following information demonstrates how to disable auto counsel performance in Windows Explorer (File Explorer) and the Run field on Windows units.
When you sort one thing in Explorer’s location area, strategies are displayed based mostly on sure components, e.g. if a file of that title is discovered on the desktop.
The identical occurs if you launch the run field on Windows utilizing Windows-R if you use it to run instructions.
Some customers could just like the performance because it makes it simple to choose one of many recommended choices to save time; others could dislike it for plenty of causes similar to by no means utilizing these strategies and disliking the truth that the counsel menu hides a few of the content material in Explorer.
Windows directors have two choices to cope with the problem:
- Make a change in the Windows Registry to flip strategies off.
- Use the Internet Options to try this as a substitute.
Using the Windows Registry
You can flip off strategies in Explorer and the Run field in the Registry. Note that you simply want elevated rights to make modifications to the Registry.
- Open the Start Menu on the Windows system.
- Type regedit and choose the end result.
- Confirm the UAC immediate that’s displayed.
- Go to ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAutoFull
- Note: if AutoFull doesn’t exist, right-click on Explorer and choose New > Key. Name it AutoFull.
- Right-click on AutoFull and choose New > String Value.
- Name the String AutoSuggest.
- Double-click on AutoSuggest and change the worth to no.
- Restart the PC.
Tip: for those who do not want the auto-complete function create one other String underneath AutoFull. Name it Append Completion (with an area), and set it to no as effectively.
Using the Internet Properties
If you do not need to make modifications to the Registry, you might make the change in the Internet Options as effectively.
- Open the Start Menu on the Windows PC or use Windows-R to open the run field.
- Type inetcpl.cpl and hit return to open the Internet Options. Tip: try our helpful information on opening Control Panel modules quickly utilizing shortcuts.
- Windows 10:
- Switch to the Advanced tab.
- Scroll down till you discover “Use inline AutoFull in File Explorer and Run Dialog”.
- Click okay.
- Windows 7:
- Switch to the Content tab.
- Activate Settings subsequent to AutoFull.
- Remove the checkmark from “Address bar”.
- Click okay.
- Close the Internet Options.
There doesn’t appear to be a approach to disable strategies in only one utility and not the opposite.