It mustn’t come as a shock that the default search engine of Microsoft Edge — no matter whether or not it’s the basic model or new Chromium version — is Microsoft’s Bing search engine.
Some individuals choose Bing over Google and different search engines and that’s completely high quality; others could choose to use a distinct search engine for his or her searches.
I by no means discovered Bing to be superb when it got here to non-English queries because it appeared closely centered on English areas and search outcomes. If you’re in the similar boat, you might have considered trying to change the search engine to use it while you run searches from the deal with bar.
I suppose additionally it is potential to go to the search engine manually as an alternative every time and run searches from the search engine’s web site, however that isn’t the most comfy of choices.
Tip: you possibly can download Edge preview builds from Microsoft.
Change search engine in Microsoft Edge Chromium
The quickest approach to change the search engine in the new Microsoft Edge browser is the following one:
- Load edge://settings/search in the browser’s deal with bar; this could load the search settings.
- Click on the menu subsequent to “search engine used in the deal with bar” to swap the search engine from Bing to one other search engine. The new search engine is used from that second on everytime you run searches.
Edge lists 5 totally different search engines there solely, and one among the is YouTube. You can swap to Google, DuckDuckGo or Yahoo however that’s about it; not the biggest of alternatives however it might be adequate in case your most well-liked search engine is on that listing.
If it’s not, my favourite Startpage just isn’t, you have got two choices:
Option 1: Visit the search engine and run a search on it
- Open the Search Engine in Microsoft Edge.
- Run a search for TEST or one thing generic.
- Open the Search Engines web page in the browser: edge://settings/searchEngines
- Select the three dots subsequent to the search engine that you really want to make the default in Microsoft Edge and choose “make default” from the menu.
That is all there’s to it.
Some search engines might not be added routinely. If that’s the case, chances are you’ll use the second possibility to add them.
Option 2: Add the search engine manually
- Select Manage search engines on the similar web page.
- Click on the Add button to add a brand new search engine to the listing. You are requested to fill out the following three fields:
- Search Engine — Pick a reputation to establish the search engine.
- Keyword — Optional, could also be used to run searches on that search engine if it’s not the default.
- URL — The search URL that makes use of the variable %s in place of the question.
- Click on Add to add the search engine.
To get the URL, run a search for TEST or one other time period that’s simply identifiable in the URL. Copy the full outcomes URL into the URL discipline in Microsoft Edge and change the search time period with %s.
On Startpage, you get a search outcomes URL similar to https://www.startpage.com/do/search?lui=english&language=english&cat=net&question=TEST&nj=&anticache=502855 while you run such a search. Simply change TEST with %s and you’re accomplished. You may take away the parameters to streamline the URL so that you could be find yourself with https://www.startpage.com/do/search?question=%s.
Now You: Which is your most well-liked search engine and why?