Google Chrome customers who’ve up to date the desktop model of the net browser to the latest model could have seen a change in how Google Chrome responds to enter in the browser’s address bar.
Chrome customers who kind characters into the address bar could discover that Google Chrome could prioritize searches over visited sites after the current replace is put in.
The screenshot beneath reveals an instance the place Chrome makes Googles Search the default motion while you hit the Enter-key and never one of many matching sites visited in the previous.
Previous variations of the browser prioritized the primary matching area identify as a substitute in order that you might load it rapidly by typing the primary few characters of the identify and hitting the Enter-key.
The change seems to have an effect on all search engines to a level. While you could change the default search engine of the Chrome browser to address the difficulty considerably (away from Google Search to a different search supplier), it will not repair the difficulty utterly.
Fixing the difficulty
There is just one actual choice on the time to revert the change and return to the earlier establishment.
Option 1: Disabling Omnibox Google Drive Document recommendations
The prioritization change of search recommendations in Google Chrome appears to be linked to a brand new experimental flag in Google Chrome. If you disable the function in Chrome — it’s enabled by default — you’ll discover that Chrome returns to the earlier search conduct.
Here is how that’s carried out:
- Load chrome://flags/#omnibox-drive-suggestions in the Chrome address bar.
- Change the experimental flag to disabled by activating the menu subsequent to the choice and deciding on “Disabled” from the choices.
- Restart the Chrome browser.
The description means that it provides Google Drive search choices to Chrome’s address bar if Google Search is the default supplier and in case you are signed in to a Google account. Why that has effects on the precedence of outcomes is unclear.
Option 2: change the default search supplier
It appears that you just can not resolve the difficulty utterly while you swap search suppliers, however it could assist.
- Load chrome://settings/ in the browser’s address bar.
- Scroll all the way down to the Search Engine part.
- Either decide one of many out there options beneath “Search engine used in the address bar”, or choose “Manage search engines” if the search engine that you just wish to decide is just not listed.
- Manage Search Engines lists all detected search engines. Chrome picks them up as you go to the web sites of the search engines and run a search.
- My chosen search engine is Startpage, however you possibly can choose some other search engine resembling DuckDuckGo as properly. (See: It may be time to switch to DuckDuckGo or Startpage for web search)
- Select the menu icon subsequent to the search engine and there “make default” to make it the brand new default search engine in Google Chrome.
Now You: Which search supplier do you employ presently?