Firefox 68.zero is a brand new main model of the Firefox internet browser. The release date of the brand new steady model of Firefox is July 9, 2019.
All Firefox channels are up to date on that day. Firefox Beta is moved to 69.zero, Firefox Dev to 70.zero, and Firefox Nightly to 71.zero.
Firefox ESR, the Extended Support Release, is moved to a brand new base with this release; this marks a serious change for Firefox ESR customers as they’re upgraded from Firefox 60.x ESR to 68.zero ESR.
Tip: Check out our Firefox ESR 68.0 guide to search out out about main modifications and variations to Firefox 68.zero.
If you missed the Firefox 67.0 release, test it out to search out out what modified in that release.
Firefox 68.zero obtain and replace
The Firefox 68.zero distribution begins on July 9, 2019. Most Firefox installations are configured to run computerized checks for updates to put in new browser variations as soon as they’re picked up.
Firefox customers could run handbook replace checks by deciding on Menu > Help > About Firefox to put in the updates sooner.
Direct downloads are additionally offered by Mozilla. Note that the downloads are made out there at one level on July 9, 2019 and that they might not be out there proper after this release information has been printed.
Firefox 68.zero Changes
Firefox 68.0 ships with a redesigned add-ons manager. We reviewed the brand new supervisor final month and chances are you’ll wish to take a look at the evaluate for extra particulars.
A brand new design is used for about:addons. Extensions are separated into enabled and disabled teams on the “Manage Your Extensions” web page however there are some core variations to the outdated add-ons supervisor.
The buttons to allow or disable add-ons have been moved to a menu (the three dots) which implies that it takes one other click on to vary the state of an extension or take away it.
The extension profile pages use tabs now, and permissions are listed on one of many tabs. You can also discover update information listed there offered that the writer of the extension provides the information when a brand new model is uploaded.
There can also be a brand new report choice to report extensions to Mozilla.
Last however not least, you may even see extension suggestions on about:addons. These are powered by Mozilla’s not too long ago launched Recommended Extensions program.
Tip: You could disable suggestions if you don’t need them:
- Load about:config within the Firefox deal with bar.
- Search for extensions.htmlaboutaddons.uncover.enabled
- Set the flag to False.
- Search for extensions.htmlaboutaddons.suggestions.enabled
- Set the flag to False.
Dark Mode help in Reader View mode
Reader View is a particular studying mode of the Firefox internet browser that shows articles on a web page that’s optimized for studying. The mode hides most web page parts that aren’t linked to the article, e.g. menus, sidebar, or commercial.
You can change fonts and will now additionally change the default gentle theme to a darkish theme. Just choose the font icon in Reader View (you launch Reader View from the deal with bar of the Firefox browser by clicking on the “web page” icon there), and there the Dark possibility.
Firefox remembers the chosen theme mechanically.
Changes to customized preferences syncing
Desktop variations of the Firefox internet browser could sync a set of default preferences if Firefox Sync is enabled. Firefox customers could flip the function on or off by setting companies.sync.prefs.sync.browser.some_preference to True or False on about:config.
Firefox will not sync preferences if the desire isn’t already out there within the Firefox set up that it’s pushed to as of Firefox 68.zero. Mozilla notes that Firefox customers could wish to management the preferences that they need synced (if they do not exist by default).
The builders have added a brand new desire to Firefox, companies.sync.prefs.dangerously_allow_arbitrary, that overrides the default habits so that each one preferences are synced. Set the desire to True to sync all the things, or False to dam preferences from syncing if they do not exist on the goal machine.
Versions of Firefox previous to 68.zero dealt with syncing as if the setting was set to True.
- Strict content material blocking protections embrace cryptomining and fingerprinting protections in Firefox 68.
- WebRender begins to roll out to units with AMD graphics playing cards on Windows 10.
- Firefox supports BITS on Windows (Windows Background Intelligent Transfer Service) to obtain updates within the background even when Firefox is closed.
- Firefox account settings at the moment are accessible proper from the principle menu.
- Firefox shortcut added to the Windows 10 taskbar when the browser is put in.
- Unmaintained languages Assamese, South African English, Maithili, Malayalam, and Odia have been eliminated. Users are migrated to British English mechanically.
- Firefox encompasses a new possibility which will detect when antivirus software program interferes with connections within the browser and repair the problem mechanically.
- Sites and apps that request digicam or microphone permissions want to make use of HTTPS connections.
Firefox 68.zero recognized points
- Firefox encompasses a new full web page coloration distinction audit choice to establish parts on a web page that fail coloration distinction checks. To use it, faucet on F12, swap to Accessibility within the Developer Toolbar, and choose Contrast there.
- Web Console reveals extra CSS warning information, e.g. a node record of DOM parts that used a selected rule.
- Web Console filtering helps common expressions.
- Network Monitor request record helps the blocking of particular URLs.
- Firefox builders could delete native or session storage entries within the Storage Inspector by utilizing the backspace key.
- The desire to show inner add-ons on the about:debugging web page modified to devtools.aboutdebugging.showHiddenAddons.
Firefox 68.zero for Android
Just a number of modifications for Firefox for Android. Mozilla released a first preview of the new Firefox for Android browser not too long ago and plans to release a closing model later this 12 months.
- Android Q compatibility fixes.
- Web portray efficiency enhancements by avoiding redundant calculations throughout paint.
- Support for W3C Web Authentication API for passwordless-logins.
Security updates / fixes
Security updates are revealed after the official release of the online browser. You discover the information published here later in the present day.
Additional information / sources