Firefox 66.zero will likely be launched on March 19, 2019 to the Stable channel. The new Firefox model introduces new options resembling sound autoplay blocking, a brand new storage format for extensions to enhance efficiency, or assist for the AV1 codec on Windows.
All variations of the online browser obtain upgrades: Firefox Stable to model 66, Firefox Beta to model 67, Firefox Nightly to model 68, and Firefox ESR to 60.6.
Our launch info information provides detailed info. It covers main and minor adjustments, developer associated adjustments, identified points, and safety info.
Read up on the Firefox 65.0 release if you happen to missed it.
- Firefox blocks autoplaying sound by default.
- Support for AV1 codec on Windows and Windows Hello on Windows 10.
- New extension storage format to enhance efficiency and cut back reminiscence utilization.
Firefox 66.zero obtain and replace
The distribution of Firefox 66 begins at present. Firefox customers ought to obtain replace notifications mechanically once they run the online browser.
Those who do not need to watch for the browser to select up the replace mechanically, can run a guide replace verify or obtain the secure model from official sources to put in it manually over the outdated model or anew.
Firefox 66.zero Changes
Autoplaying audio is blocked by default
Mozilla Firefox 66 will block autoplaying (audible) sound on internet pages that you simply go to. Mozilla plans to roll out the characteristic progressively beginning with the discharge of Firefox 66.
Firefox customers might whitelist websites to permit them to play autoplay media with sound.
You can allow or disable the characteristic, and handle exceptions within the following approach:
- Load about:preferences#privateness within the Firefox deal with bar.
- Scroll all the way down to the Permissions part.
- Check or uncheck “Block web sites from mechanically enjoying sound” to allow or disable the characteristic.
- A click on on Exceptions offers you choices so as to add websites to the record of exceptions to permit them to play sound mechanically.
Extensions switched to a unique storage sort to enhance efficiency
One of the main adjustments in Firefox 66 is a change in how extension’s retailer knowledge in Firefox. The swap from JSON to IndexedDB ought to enhance efficiency and cut back reminiscence utilization on the identical time based on Mozilla.
Especially extensions that make “small adjustments to giant buildings”, e.g. content material blockers, profit from the change.
The migration occurs mechanically within the background, person interplay isn’t required.
- Support for AV1 codec is activated on Windows by default.
- Windows Hello assist on Windows 10.
- Scroll anchoring assist prevents content material from leaping round whereas the web page hundreds when the person scrolls throughout that point.
- Certificate error pages have been redesigned to “be extra helpful” to customers of the Firefox internet browser.
- New possibility to go looking all tabs from the tab overflow menu when too many tabs are open in Firefox to show abruptly.
- The variety of content material processes has been raised to eight (from four). The transfer ought to enhance efficiency, cut back the crash fee, and improve reminiscence.
- Users might now override keyboard shortcuts that extensions support (and set) from about:addons. To achieve this, go to about:addons and choose “Manage extension shortcuts” from the cogwheel menu on the web page.
- The Private Browsing window incorporates a search area in Firefox 66.
- Basic assist for mac OS Touch Bar.
- Pocket experiment to check totally different layouts and “extra topical content material”.
- System title bar hidden by default beneath Gnome.
Firefox 66.zero identified points
- Reduced reminiscence utilization when extensions load objects from storage into reminiscence.
- Scroll anchoring applied.
- DevTools Inspector could also be used totally if the Debugger is paused.
- Priority of setTimeout and setInterval lowered throughout web page load to enhance efficiency.
Firefox 66.zero for Android
- Sound autoplay blocking performance applied in Firefox for Android.
- Scroll anchoring assist.
- Files from exterior storage could also be opened now.
Security updates / fixes
Security vulnerabilities and patches points are revealed after the discharge. We will add a hyperlink as soon as Mozilla publishes these.
The subsequent secure launch is Firefox 67, scheduled to be launched May 14, 2019.
Additional info / sources