According to the Windows 10 lifecycle, customers should set up giant replace packages (characteristic updates) extra typically than in earlier Windows variations. Windows 10 is upgraded twice a 12 months. Currently, the latest Windows 10 model is Windows 10 1809 (October 2018 Update). Windows 10 model improve could also be in contrast with the set up of Service Pack in earlier Windows variations. The members of the Windows 10 Insider Preview program set up such builds extra typically – the system construct is up to date Three-Four instances a month.
Windows 10 improve doesn’t all the time carried out efficiently. On completely different causes, the set up of a brand new construct might fail. However, it isn’t all the time potential to perceive why the replace couldn’t be put in (Windows doesn’t show the significant data). Nevertheless, all obligatory details about the construct improve course of is saved within the log recordsdata. This information could also be helpful when diagnosing and fixing Windows 10 improve errors. These logs are plain textual content recordsdata, and so as to discover significant information in them, you have to be a real Windows knowledgeable.
Microsoft’s SetupDiag.exe Tool
Fortunately, Microsoft has just lately launched a brand new diagnostic software, SetupDiag.exe, which permits you to get an in depth details about the the explanation why Windows 10 construct was not upgraded in your laptop. It is a command line software and it have to be began instantly on Windows 10 laptop, that was not upgraded, or on the offline mode on one other laptop, to which you could copy the log recordsdata from the issue laptop prematurely.
SetupDiag scans Windows set up logs and appears for particular errors in them that point out a specific Windows improve concern.
SetupDiag.exe works in Windows 10, and requires .NET Framework Four.6 or greater to be put in in your laptop (). You can use the software each to diagnose the improve errors of Windows 10 builds and when upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows eight.1 to Windows 10. (You may have to copy the improve log recordsdata to a pc working Windows 10 to analyze them.)
Download the SetupDiag software following this hyperlink https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=870142 and run it within the elevated cmd. When run with none parameters, the software tries to discover log recordsdata that Windows 10 creates in the course of the improve.
The SetupDiag search follows the usual paths which might be created by the system at completely different levels of latest Windows 10 construct set up. By default, log recordsdata are positioned within the following folders:
$Windows.~btSourcesRollback– improve recordsdata seem on this listing if Windows 10 improve completed with an error and also you had to roll again to the earlier construct;
When the logs have been analyzed, the software creates outcomes.log file within the listing it’s run from. The file incorporates the listing of errors that occurred in the course of the improve (chances are you’ll specify the situation of the ensuing file utilizing the /Output parameter). The utility additionally creates a ZIP-archive with the supply log recordsdata.
You can run the SetupDiag software within the offline mode and scan log recordsdata copied from one other laptop. For instance, to search the log recordsdata offline in a sure folder and save the consequence to the desired file, run this command:
SetupDiag.exe /Output:C:SetupDiagResults.log /Mode:Offline /LogsPath:D:Logs
SetupDiag could also be used to analyze reminiscence dump recordsdata (minidump) created in Windows 10 when a BSOD seems (WinDbg have to be put in). The setupmem.dmp is created in
%WinDirpercentPantherNewOSRollback relying on the stage the improve of Windows 10 construct has been interrupted.
To analyze the setupmem.dmp within the specified listing, run this command:
SetupDiag.exe /Output:C:SetupDiagDumpdebug.log /Mode:Offline /LogsPath:D:Dump
When beginning SetupDiag, you’ll see the next messages within the console:
SetupDiag: processing rule: CompatScanOnly. No match.
SetupDiag: processing rule: BitLockerHardblock. No match.
SetupDiag: processing rule: VHDHardblock. No match.
SetupDiag: processing rule: PortableWorkspaceHardblock. No match.
SetupDiag: processing rule: AuditModeHardblock. No match.
SetupDiag: processing rule: SafeModeHardblock. No match.
SetupDiag is utilizing quite a few predefined patterns (guidelines) used to discover recognized Windows 10 improve points. I. e. SetupDiag will assist you to discover solely these improve errors which might be decided in these patterns. No match string implies that the desired drawback just isn’t discovered within the logs.
The set of SetupDiag guidelines is extending. For instance, there have been 26 guidelines in SetupDiag v1.00 (03/30/2018), and there are 53 templates within the SetupDiag v1.Four.Zero.Zero (12/18/2018). Each rule has a reputation and distinctive identifier. Let’s take into account SetupDiag guidelines and the associated errors of Windows 10 improve briefly.
- CompatScanOnly — FFDAFD37-DB75-498A-A893-472D49A1311D – setup.exe set up has been referred to as in compatibility mode, not in an improve mode.
- BitLockerHardblock — C30152E2-938E-44B8-915B-D1181BA635AE – the supply system has BitLocker enabled that’s not supported within the goal one.
- VHDHardblock — D9ED1B82-4ED8-4DFD-8EC0-BE69048978CC – the system is booted as a VHD picture (this improve mode just isn’t supported in Windows 10).
- PortableWorkspaceHardblock — 5B0D3AB4-212A-4CE4-BDB9-37CA404BB280 – the system is booted from a USB Windows To-Go gadget (the improve within the Windows To-Go surroundings just isn’t supported).
- AuditModeHardblock — A03BD71B-487B-4ACA-83A0-735B0F3F1A90 – the OS is booted into the Audit Mode.
- SafeModeHardblock — 404D9523-B7A8-4203-90AF-5FBB05B6579B — the OS is booted into the Safe Mode.
- InadequateSystemPartitionDiskSpaceHardblock — 3789FBF8-E177-437D-B1E3-D38B4C4269D1 – the system partition doesn’t have sufficient house for the improve.
- CompatBlockedApplicationAutoUninstall – BEBA5BC6-6150-413E-8ACE-5E1EC8D34DD5 – an incompatible app discovered that has to be eliminated prior to the construct improve.
- CompatBlockedApplicationDismissable — EA52620B-E6A0-4BBC-882E-0686605736D9 – throughout set up in a quiet (with the /quiet key) mode, an error occurred that requires interplay with a consumer and blocks the set up.
- CompatBlockedApplicationManualUninstall — 9E912E5F-25A5-4FC0-BEC1-CA0EA5432FF4 – a non-standard utility with out an Add/Remove Programs entry is discovered within the system. Its recordsdata have to be eliminated manually.
- HardblockDeviceOrDriver — ED3AEFA1-F3E2-4F33-8A21-184ADF215B1B – one of many put in drivers just isn’t appropriate with the brand new OS and have to be eliminated.
- HardblockMismatchedLanguage — 60BA8449-CF23-4D92-A108-D6FCEFB95B45 – the language of the supply and the goal methods don’t match.
- HardblockFlightSigning — 598F2802-3E7F-4697-BD18-7A6371C8B2F8 – you are attempting to set up a pre-release (as part of Windows Insider program) on a pc with the Secure Boot mode enabled. The pre-release gained’t boot on this mode.
- DiskSpaceBlockInDownLevel — 6080AFAC-892E-4903-94EA-7A17E69E549E – the system ran out of disk house when upgrading.
- DiskSpaceFailure — 981DCBA5-B8D0-4BA7-A8AB-4030F7A10191 – the system ran out of disk house after rebooting into the brand new launch.
- MachineInstallHang — 37BB1C3A-4D79-40E8-A556-FDA126D40BC6 – the system hung or failed (BSOD appeared) in the course of the improve set up.
- DebugSetupMemoryDump — C7C63D8A-C5F6-4255-8031-74597773C3C6 – BSOD appeared in the course of the set up. The reminiscence dump have to be analyzed for additional debug.
- DebugSetupCrash — CEEBA202-6F04-4BC3-84B8-7B99AED924B1 – a setup error that requires reminiscence dump debug.
- DebugMemoryDump — 505ED489-329A-43F5-B467-FCAAF6A1264C – it’s a rule to debug a reminiscence.dmp file created throughout setup/improve.
- BootFailureDetected — 4FB446C2-D4EC-40B4-97E2-67EB19D1CFB7 – a boot failure occurred on the particular stage of the improve.
- FindDebugInfoFromRollbackLog — 9600EB68-1120-4A87-9FE9-3A4A70ACFC37 – offers details about BSOD without having to set up the debug package deal.
- SuperiorInstallerFailed — 77D36C96-32BE-42A2-BB9C-AAFFE64FCADC — a deadly installer error.
- FindMigApplyUnitFailure — A4232E11-4043-4A37-9BF4-5901C46FD781 – an error within the migration unit.
- FindMigGatherUnitFailure — D04C064B-CD77-4E64-96D6-D26F30B4EE29 – an in depth details about the failed migration unit.
- CrucialSafeOSDUFailure — 73566DF2-CA26-4073-B34C-C9BC70DBF043 – a failure to replace the SafeOS picture.
- UserProfileCreationFailureDuringOnlineApply — 678117CE-F6A9-40C5-BC9F-A22575C78B14 – an error when creating or modifying a consumer profile throughout on-line part of the improve.
- WimMountFailure — BE6DF2F1-19A6-48C6-AEF8-D3B0CE3D4549 – failed to mount the WIM file in the course of the improve.
- FindSuccessfulUpgrade — 8A0824C8-A56D-4C55-95A0-22751AB62F3E – Windows 10 construct has been upgraded efficiently.
- FindSetupHostReportedFailure — 6253C04F-2E4E-4F7A-B88E-95A69702F7EC – a failure on the early levels of improve in thr setuphost.exe.
- FindDownlevelFailure — 716334B7-F46A-4BAA-94F2-3E31BC9EFA55 – an error within the SetupPlatform.
- FindAbruptDownlevelFailure — 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD – the details about the latest failure, when the log entries finish unexpectedly.
- FindSetupPlatformFailedOperationInfo — 307A0133-F06B-4B75-AEA8-116C3B53C2D1 – the details about the part and error if SetupPlatform essential failure happens.
- FindRollbackFailure — 3A43C9B5-05B3-4F7C-A955-88F991BB5A48 – the latest motion and the issue part earlier than rollback to the earlier Windows 10 model.
- SuperiorInstallerGenericFailure – 4019550D-4CAA-45B0-A222-349C48E86F71 – learn/write errors of SuperiorInstaller.
- OptionalComponentFailedToGetOCsFromPackage – D012E2A2-99D8-4A8C-BBB2-Zero88B92083D78 – the details about an error in an non-compulsory element when making an attempt to get the listing of the package deal elements.
- OptionalComponentOpenPackageFailed – 22952520-EC89-4FBD-94E0-B67DF88347F6 – a failure when making an attempt to open an non-compulsory element.
- OptionalComponentInitCBSSessionFailed – 63340812-9252-45F3-A0F2-B2A4CA5E9317 – the installer or the particular element aren’t working.
- UserProfileCreationFailureDuringFinalize – C6677BA6-2E53-4A88-B528-336D15ED1A64 – an error of making a consumer profile on the ultimate stage of the improve.
- WimApplyExtractFailure – 746879E9-C9C5-488C-8D4B-0C811FF3A9A8 – a failure of the WIM picture when it’s unpacked.
- UpdateAgentExpanderFailure – 66E496B3-7D19-47FA-B19B-4040B9FD17E2 — a DPX failure when updating utilizing Windows Update.
- FindFatalPluginFailure – E48E3F1C-26F6-4AFB-859B-BF637DA49636 – an error in one of many plugins.
- SuperiorInstallerFailed – 77D36C96-32BE-42A2-BB9C-AAFFE64FCADC – Indicates essential failure within the SuperiorInstaller whereas working an installer package deal
- MigrationAbortedDueToPluginFailure – D07A24F6-5B25-474E-B516-A730085940C9 – essential failure in a migration plugin that causes setup to abort the migration.
- DISMAddPackageFailed – 6196FF5B-E69E-4117-9EC6-9C1EAB20A3B9 – essential failure throughout a DISM add package deal operation.
- PlugInComplianceBlock – D912150B-1302-4860-91B5-527907D08960 – detects all compat blocks from Server compliance plug-ins.
- SuperiorInstallerGenericFailure – 4019550D-4CAA-45B0-A222-349C48E86F71 – Triggers on superior installer failures in a generic sense.
- FindMigGatherApplyFailure – A9964E6C-A2A8-45FF-B6B5-25E0BD71428E- reveals errors when the migration Engine fails out on a collect or apply operation.
- OptionalComponentFailedToGetOCsFromPackage – D012E2A2-99D8-4A8C-BBB2-Zero88B92083D78 – signifies the non-compulsory element migration operation failed to enumerate non-compulsory elements from an non-compulsory element package deal.
- OptionalComponentOpenPackageFailed – 22952520-EC89-4FBD-94E0-B67DF88347F6 – signifies the non-compulsory element migration operation failed to open an non-compulsory element package deal.
- OptionalComponentInitCBSSessionFailed – 63340812-9252-45F3-A0F2-B2A4CA5E9317 – signifies corruption within the servicing stack on the down-level system.
- DISMproviderFailure – D76EF86F-B3F8-433F-9EBF-B4411F8141F4 – triggers when a DISM supplier (plug-in) fails in a essential operation.
- SysPrepLaunchModuleFailure – 7905655C-F295-45F7-8873-81D6F9149BFD – signifies a sysPrep plug-in has failed in a essential operation
- UserProvidedDriverInjectionFailure – 2247C48A-7EE3-4037-AFAB-95B92DE1D980 – a driver offered to setup (through command line enter) has failed ultimately.
Here is an instance of the outcomes.log file offering the details about the OS, the supply and the goal Windows 10 variations and the error FindFatalPluginFailure:
Matching Profile discovered: FindFatalPluginFailure - E48E3F1C-26F6-4AFB-859B-BF637DA49636
Machine Name = Offline
Manufacturer = VMware, Inc.
Model = VMware Virtual Platform
HostOSArchitecture = x64
FirmwareType = PCAT
BiosReleaseDate = 20160921000000.000000+00Zero
BiosVendor = PhoenixBIOS Four.Zero Release 6.Zero
BiosVersion = 6.00
HostOSVersion = 10.Zero.16299
HostOSBuildString = 16299.15.amd64fre.rs3_release.170928-1534
TargetOSBuildString = 10.Zero.17134.1 (rs4_release.180410-1804)
HostOSLanguageId = 1049
HostOSEdition = Professional
UpgradeStartTime = Four/10/2019 9:17:59 PM
UpgradeEndTime = Four/10/2019 10:10:36 PM
UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:52:37
ReportId = Zero04db4ee-17f9-4b6f-bc46-a8bd9877ccd8
Error: SetupDiag stories deadly migration plug-in failure. Plug-in Name = %windirpercentsystem32migrationCntrtextMig.dll, Migration Operation = IPostApply->ApplySuccess, Plug-in Error: 0x00000032
In this instance SetupDiag has discovered that the improve set up failed due to an error within the %windirpercentsystem32migrationCntrtextMig.dll plugin.
If the system was upgraded efficiently, outcomes.log incorporates the next message:
Matching Profile discovered: FindSuccessfulUpgrade - 8A0824C8-A56D-4C55-95A0-22751AB62F3E
SetupDiag Error: Main() failed with an unhandled exception
In some instances while you run SetupDiag, chances are you’ll encounter an error: “ SetupDiag: Main() failed with an unhandled exception” within the log
10:20:58 - SetupDiag: Main() failed with an unhandled exception:
Could not discover part of the trail 'C:$Windows.~btsourcesrollback'.
Exception System.IO.ListingNotFoundException: Could not discover part of the trail 'C:$Windows.~btsourcesrollback'.
Stack: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String uniqueUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.ListingInfo.InternalGetFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
at System.IO.ListingInfo.GetFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
at Microsoft.Internal.Deployment.SetupDiag.CSetupAPIParser.GetCorrectSetupApiLog(String logsPath, DateTime dtSetupActLogTime)
at Microsoft.Internal.Deployment.SetupDiag.CSetupDiag.RunDiag(String strRulesFile, String strlogsPath, String strMode, String strOutPut, String strFormat, String resLevel, Boolean fCreateLogs)
at Microsoft.Internal.Deployment.SetupDiag.Program.Main(String args)
In my case, this was due to the truth that one of many log folders was lacking. I solved this drawback by copying the remaining logs to a sure folder and working SetupDiag within the offline mode:
SetupDiag.exe /Output:C:toolsResults.log /Mode:Offline /LogsPath:c:Logs
Some of the errors are simple to repair (just like the inadequate free house on the system quantity), the opposite are harder. Anyway, SetupDiag permits you to sooner diagnose and repair the improve issues on the computer systems working Windows 10 and save the difficulty of an administrator to analyze logs manually.