The setup.exe installer in a Windows 10 set up picture has fairly numerous the command-line parameters that directors could also be taken with to automate and handle a Windows 10 silent and unattended construct improve on person computer systems utilizing SCCM, MDT, or different deployment instruments. In this text we’ll present find out how to use Windows 10 setup.exe parameters throughout compatibility examine and upgrading to the latest Windows 10 construct.
Windows 10 Setup.exe Command-Line Options
To improve a Windows 10 construct, a Windows set up program setup.exe is used. When you run it, a graphical Windows 10 replace wizard seems. However, this program has a large number of command-line parameters you should use to automated OS improve on customers’ computer systems. The basic syntax and parameters of Setup.exe are listed under:
[BaudRate: ] /AddBootMgrLast /Auto DataOnly /BitLocker ForceKeepActive /BusParams: /CompactOS /Compat /CopyLogs /Debug: [BaudRate: ] /DiagnosticPrompt disable /DynamicUpdate disable /EMSPort: off [/emsbaudrate: ] /InstallDrivers /InstallFrom /InstallLangPacks /m: /MigNEO Disable /MigrateDrivers none /InternetDebug:hostip= ,port= ,key= [,nodhcp][,busparams=n.o.p] /NoReboot /PKey /Priority Normal /PostOOBE [setupcomplete.cmd] /PostRollback [setuprollback.cmd] [/postrollbackcontext ] /Quiet /ReflectDrivers /ResizeRecoveryPartition /ShowOOBE /Telemetry /TempDrive /Unattend: /Uninstall /USBDebug: /WDSDiscover /WDSServer:
You can get the detailed details about all setup.exe command-line choices and their options for Windows 10 on the documentation web page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-command-line-options
How to Create an Up-to-Date Windows 10 Install ISO Image?
To improve your Windows 10 construct, you will need to get an set up ISO picture with the latest Windows 10 model. Today it’s Windows 10 2004 (May 2020 Update).
You can create an ISO picture with the present Windows 10 construct utilizing the Media Creation Tool.
- Download the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home windows10);
- Run the MediaCreationTool2004.exe and specify that you simply wish to Create set up media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) within the wizard;
- Select the language, version and structure of the Windows 10 picture you wish to create;
- Check the ISO file and enter the file identify for it;
- Wait until Media Creation Tool has downloaded Windows 10 set up picture to your native drive.
Extract the contents of the ISO picture to your file server.
Using Windows 10 Compatibility Check Before Upgrading Build
Before upgrading OS in your laptop, you may examine in case your Windows 10 could also be upgraded to the construct the brand new ISO picture comprises. To do it, run this command:
begin /wait setup.exe /Auto Upgrade /Quiet /NoReboot /DynamicUpdate Disable /Compat ScanOnly
The parameters you should use:
- /Auto Upgrade – automated improve mode
- /Quiet – hides the improve wizard dialog home windows
- /NoReboot – disables the pc restart
- /DynamicUpdate Disable — units that you simply don’t must obtain the latest updates by means of Windows Update (you may obtain them later mechanically utilizing wuauserv or )
- /Compat ScanOnly – performs the compatibility examine solely (with out performing construct improve).
Scanning for the compatibility with a brand new Windows 10 construct will take a while.
You can observe the compatibility examine course of within the file C:$Windows.~BTSourcesPanthersetupact.log. If the scan examine is over, you will note the next line in it:
Info MOUPG **************** SetupHost Logging End ****************
You can view the compatibility evaluation ends in C:$Windows.~BTSourcesPanthersetuperr.log. Find the final line that appears like this:
CSetupHost::Execute(xxx): Result = xxxxxxxx
This is the examine end result code.
You also can get an error code for the improve compatibility examine within the command immediate:
For instance, the setup.exe command has returned -1047526896. Copy and paste the decimal code to the calculator within the programmer mode. To get the hexadecimal error code, copy the worth from the Hex field, take away all Fs to start with and add 0x as a substitute. In my case, I’ve bought 0xC1900210.
The most common Windows 10 compatibility examine error codes are:
- 0xC1900210 – no issues discovered;
- 0xC1900208 – a compatibility downside discovered;
- 0xC1900204 and 0xC190010E – automated construct improve inconceivable (incorrect Windows version or structure);
- 0xC1900200 – the pc doesn’t meet minimal Windows 10 necessities;
- 0xC190020E – not sufficient disk area;
- 0xC1420127 – an issue when unmounting the picture WIM file.
In my case, there was the next error in setuperr.log:
Error MOUPG CSetupHost::Execute(412): Result = 0xC1900208[gle=0x00000003]
Check the SetupDiagResults.log created by SetupDiag. The log reveals that there are two causes that stop my laptop from upgrading the Windows 10 construct:
- CompatBlockedApplicationAutoUninstall — an incompatible app was discovered, and I’ve to uninstall it previous to the improve.
- FindAbruptDownlevelFailure — the details about the final error when writing entries to the log has been immediately interrupted.
Matching Profile discovered: CompatBlockedApplicationAutoUninstall, FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - BEBA5BC6-6150-413E-8ACE-5E1EC8D34DD5, 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD SetupDiag model: 1.6.zero.zero
In the tip, there’s the advice to uninstall the McAfee antivirus earlier than the improve:
You should uninstall "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise" earlier than persevering with with the set up/replace.
If you will have SCCM, you may centrally acquire the values of error degree standing from person computer systems with a easy package deal and commercial with the command:
setup.exe /Compat ScanOnly
How to Automate Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade from the Command Prompt?
If no compatibility issues have been discovered that stop your Windows 10 construct from upgrading, you may run the improve on a pc utilizing a easy command-line script. Create a BAT file run_win10_upgrade.bat with the next code within the shared community share containing the extracted Windows 10 ISO picture:
begin /wait . W102004Windows10x64-2004setup.exe /auto improve /DynamicUpdate disable /showoobe None /Telemetry Disable
The /migratedrivers all parameter is used to pressure migrate all drivers. If the parameter just isn’t set, the installer will itself decide on every driver individually.
You can use different setup.exe choices when upgrading Windows 10.
Starting from Windows 10 1607, you may set the set up parameters within the Setupconfig.ini file. This file have to be positioned within the folder with setup.exe and comprise the textual content like this matching the command above:
[SetupConfig] NoReboot ShowOobe=None Telemetry=Disable DynamicUpdate=Disable
To run Windows 10 improve utilizing the parameter file, the next command is used:
Setup.exe /ConfigFile setupconfig.ini