I got here throughout an attention-grabbing error when putting in MS SQL Server 2014 on a brand new VM operating Windows Server 2012 R2. SQL Server setup was interrupted virtually at the finish with the error “Could not discover the Database Engine startup handle”.
There was the following error in the SQL set up log (abstract.txt file):
Feature: Database Engine Services Status: Failed: see logs for particulars Reason for failure: An error occurred throughout the setup means of the characteristic. Next Step: Use the following data to resolve the error, uninstall this characteristic, after which run the setup course of once more. Component title: SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features Component error code: 0x851A0019 Error description: Could not discover the Database Engine startup handle.
This MS SQL Server set up error is expounded to straightforward set up settings when SQL Server is run underneath an unprivileged account NT ServiceMSSQL$V2014. This account could not have the privilege to run SQL Server service, so the service can’t be run and the installer returns the “Could not discover the Database Engine startup handle” error. Also, this error could point out that anyone has already tried to put in SQL Server on this pc and information or providers left after the set up haven’t been eliminated.
To repair the SQL Server set up error:
- Correctly uninstall all packages associated to SQL Server from the Control Panel and restart your server (make certain there are not any information or folders in the folder C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL12.xxx).;
- Run the set up from the SQL Server distribution from scratch. On the Server Configuration tab, be sure that the SQL Server Database Engine service is run underneath NT ServiceMSSQLSERVER account;
- Change this account to NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM;
- Continue the SQL Server set up. The error shouldn’t seem once more.
After the set up is full, we strongly advocate to alter the account, underneath which SQL Server Database Engine is run, to an unprivileged account. You don’t must grant this account native administrator permissions ( it’s sufficient to supply vital privileges inside SQL Server safety settings). You can use accounts with sysadmin privileges: NT ServiceMSSQLSERVICE or NT ServiceSQLSERVERAGENT. To change the account, underneath which SQL Server runs:
- Run the SQL Server Configuration Manager and go to SQL Server Services;
- Click SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER), then click on Browse and in the “This account” area specify the account, underneath which the service should be run, or use a gMSA (). Enter the person password and save the adjustments;
- Restart SQL Server providers.
This technique will aid you to repair the “Could not discover the Database Engine startup handle” error throughout the set up of any SQL Server variations (2016, 2014, 2012 or 2008 r2).