Windows Hyper-V Server is a free hypervisor platform by Microsoft to run digital machines. In this text, we’ll look on how to set up and configure the latest model of Windows Hyper-V Server 2019 launched in summer season 2019 (this information additionally applies to Windows Hyper-V Server 2016).
Hyper-V Server 2019 is appropriate for individuals who don’t need to pay for virtualization working system. The Hyper-V has no restrictions and is free. Windows Hyper-V Server has the next advantages:
- Support of all fashionable OSs. There aren’t any compatibility issues. All Windows and trendy Linux and FreeBSD working programs have Hyper-V help.
- Quite a lot of alternative ways to : easy scripts, open-source software program, free and industrial variations of fashionable backup packages.
- Although Hyper-V Server doesn’t have a GUI Windows Server (graphical administration interface), you possibly can handle it remotely utilizing normal Hyper-V Manager you can set up on any pc operating Windows. Now it additionally has an internet entry utilizing the Windows Admin Center.
- Hyper-V Server relies on a fashionable server platform, acquainted and simple to work with.
- You can set up Hyper-V on a pseudoRAID, e. g., Inter RAID controller, Windows software program RAID.
- You don’t want to license your hypervisor, it’s appropriate for VDI or Linux VMs.
- Low necessities. Your processor should help software program virtualization (Intel-VT or VMX by Intel, AMD-V (SVM) by AMD) and second-level deal with translation (SLAT) (Intel EPT or AMD RV). These processor choices should be enabled in BIOS/UEFI/. You can discover full system necessities on Microsoft web site.
It is value to observe that if you’re utilizing a free hypervisor, you’re nonetheless chargeable for licensing your digital machines. You can run any variety of VMs operating any opensource OS, like Linux, however you have got to license your Windows digital machines. Desktop Windows editions are licensed with a product key, and if you’re utilizing Windows Server as a visitor OS, you should license it by the nuber of bodily cores in your host. See extra particulars on Windows Server licensing in digital setting .
What’s New in Hyper-V Server 2019?
Let’s contemplate new Hyper-V Server 2019 options briefly:
- Shielded Virtual Machines help for Linux appeared;
- VM configuration model 9.zero (with hibernation help);
- ReFS deduplication help;
- Core App Compatibility: the power to run further graphic administration panels within the Hyper-V server console;
- Support of and cross-domain cluster migration
How to Install Hyper-V Server 2019/2016?
You can obtain Hyper-V Server 2019 ISO set up picture right here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2019.
After you click on Continue, a brief registration kind will seem. Fill in your information and choose the language of the OS to be put in. Wait until the Hyper-V picture obtain is over. The .iso file measurement is about 2.81GB.
Microsoft Hyper-V Server set up is normal and intuitive. It goes like in Windows 10. Just boot your server (pc) from the ISO picture and observe the directions of the set up wizard.
Using Sconfig Tool for Hyper-V Server Basic Configuration
After the set up, the system will immediate you to change the administrator password. Change it, and you’re going to get to the hypervisor console.
Please observe that Hyper-V Server doesn’t have a well-known Windows GUI. You can have to configure most settings by the command line.
There are two home windows on the desktop — the usual command immediate and the sconfig.cmd script window. You can use this script to carry out the preliminary configuration of your Hyper-V server. Enter the variety of the menu merchandise you’re going to work with within the “Enter quantity to choose an choice:” line.
- The first menu merchandise permits you to be part of your server to an AD area or a workgroup. In this instance, we’ll be part of the server to the workgroup known as HV-GROUP.
- Change a hostname of your server.
- Create an area administrator person (one other account, in addition to the built-in administrator account). I’d like to observe that if you enter the native administrator password, the cursor stays in the identical place. However, the password and its affirmation are efficiently entered.
- Enable the distant entry to your server. Thus, it is possible for you to to handle it utilizing Server Manager, MMC and PowerShell consoles, join by way of RDP, test its availability utilizing ping or tracert.
- Configure Windows Update. Select one of many three modes:
- Automatic (automated replace obtain and set up)
- DownloadSolely (solely obtain with out set up)
- Manual (the administrator decides whether or not to obtain or set up the updates)
- Download and set up the latest safety updates.
- Enable RDP entry with/with out NLA.
- Configure your community adapter settings. By default, your server receives the IP deal with from DHCP server. It is healthier to configure the static IP deal with right here.
- Set the date and time of your system.
- Configure the telemetry. The Hyper-V received’t permit you to disable it fully. Select the mode you need.
You can even configure the date, time and utilizing the next command:
These instructions open normal consoles.
Note! If you have got closed all home windows and seen the black display screen, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This key mixture works in an RDP session as nicely and runs the Task Manager. You can use it to begin the command immediate or the Hyper-V configuration instrument (click on File -> Run Task -> cmd.exe or sconfig.cmd).
Hyper-V Server 2019 Remote Management
To conveniently handle Free Hyper-V Server 2019 from the graphic interface, you should utilize:
- Windows Admin Center
- Hyper-V Manager — that is the strategy we’ll contemplate additional (as for me, it’s extra handy than WAC, a minimum of to this point)
To handle the Hyper-V Server 2016/2019, you have to a pc operating Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise х64 version.
Your Hyper-V server should be accessible by its hostname; and the A file should correspond to it on the DNS server in your area community. In a workgroup, you should have to create the A file manually in your native DNS or add it to the hosts file on a shopper pc. In our case, it appears to be like like this:
If the account you’re utilizing on a shopper pc differs from the Hyper-V administrator account (and it needs to be so), you should have to explicitly save your credentials used to join to the Hyper-V server. To do it, run this command:
cmdkey /add: SERVERHV /person:hvadmin /go:HVPa$$phrase
We have specified the host and the credentials to entry Hyper-V. If you have got multiple server, do it for every of them.
Then begin PowerShell immediate as administrator and run the next command:
Answer YES to all questions, thus you’ll configure automated startup of WinRM service and allow distant management guidelines in your firewall.
Add your Hyper-V server to the trusted hosts listing:
Set-Item WSMan:localhostClientTrustedHosts -Value "SERVERHV"
If you have got a number of servers, add every of them to trusted hosts.
Run the dcomcnfg from the command immediate, and increase the Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer in it. Right-click right here, choose Properties and go to COM Security -> Access Permissions -> Edit Limits. In the following window test Remote Access permissions for ANONYMOUS ACCESS person.
Then let’s attempt to join to the distant server. Run the Computer Management console (compmgmt.msc), right-click on the console root and choose Connect to one other pc.
Now you possibly can handle the Task Scheduler, disks, providers and view the occasion log utilizing normal MMC consoles.
Install Hyper-V Manager on Windows 10. Open Programs and Features (optionalfeatures.exe) and go to Turn Windows Features on or off. In the following window, discover Hyper-V and test Hyper-V Management Tools to set up it.
The Hyper-V Manager snap-in will probably be put in. Start it and join to your Hyper-V server.
Using the Hyper-V Manager to handle the hypervisor is mostly past query. Then I’ll inform about some methods to handle a Hyper-V Server from PowerShell.
Using PowerShell to Configure Hyper-V Server 2019
I like to recommend utilizing PowerShell to configure your Hyper-V Server. Hyper-V module gives over 1,641 cmdlets to handle a Hyper-V server.
Get-Command –ModuleHyper-V | Measure-Object
Configure the automated begin of the PowerShell console after logon.
New-ItemProperty -path HKLM:SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionrun -Name PowerShell -Value "cmd /c begin /max C:Windowssystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0powershell.exe -noExit" -Type string
After logging into the server, a PowerShell window will seem.
How to Configure Hyper-V Server 2019 Network Settings from PowerShell?
If you haven’t configured the community settings utilizing sconfig.cmd, you configure them by PowerShell. Using Get-NetIPConfiguration cmdlet, you possibly can view the present IPs configuration of community interface.
Assign a static IP deal with, community masks, default gateway and DNS server addresses. You can get the community adapter index (InterfaceIndex) from the outcomes of the earlier cmdlet.
New-NetIPAddress -InterfaceIndex four -IPAddress 192.168.1.2 -DefaultGateway 192.168.1.1 -PrefixLength 24
Set-DnsClientServerAddress -InterfaceIndex four -ServerAddresses 192.168.1.three,192.168.1.four
To configure IPv6, get the interface title utilizing the Get-NetAdapter cmdlet from the PowerShell NetTCPIP module.
Check the present IPv6 setting utilizing the next command:
Get-NetAdapterBinding -InterfaceDescription "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection" | Where-Object -Property ShowName -Match IPv6 | Format-Table –AutoSize
You can disable IPv6 as follows:
Disable-NetAdapterBinding -InterfaceDescription "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection " -ComponentID ms_tcpip6
Hyper-V Server Remote Management Firewall Configuration
You can view the listing of cmdlets to handle Windows Firewall utilizing Get-Command:
Get-Command -Noun *Firewall* -Module InternetSecurity
To totally handle your server remotely, run the next instructions one after the other to allow Windows Firewall permit guidelines :
Enable-NetFireWallRule -ShowName "Windows Management Instrumentation (DCOM-In)"
Enable-NetFireWallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Event Log Management"
Enable-NetFireWallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Service Management"
Enable-NetFireWallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Volume Management"
Enable-NetFireWallRule -DisplayGroup "Windows Firewall Defender Remote Management"
Enable-NetFireWallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Scheduled Tasks Management"
Configuring Hyper-V Storage for Virtual Machines
We will use a separate partition on a bodily disk to retailer information (digital machine recordsdata and iso recordsdata). View the listing of bodily disks in your server.
Create a brand new partition of the most important attainable measurement on the drive and assign the drive letter D: to it. Use the DiskQuantity from Get-Disk outcomes.
New-Partition -DiskQuantity zero -DriveLetter D –UseMaximumSize
Then format the partition as NTFS and specify its label:
Format-Volume -DriveLetter D -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel "VMStorage"
Create a listing the place you’ll retailer digital machine settings and vhdx recordsdata. The New-Item cmdlet permits you to create nested folders:
New-Item -Path "D:HyperVVHD" -Type Directory
Create D:ISO folder to retailer OS distributions photographs (iso recordsdata):
New-Item -Path D:ISO -ItemType Directory
To create a shared community folder, use the New-SmbShare cmdlet and grant full entry permissions to the group of native directors of your server:
New-SmbShare -Path D:ISO -Name ISO -Description "OS Distributives" -FullAccess "BUILTINAdministrators"
How to Configure Hyper-V Server Host Settings by way of PowerShell?
Open the Hyper-V Server host settings utilizing this command:
Get-VMHost | Format-List
The paths of digital machines and digital disks are situated on the identical partition as your operation system. It is just not appropriate. Specify the trail to the folders created earlier utilizing this command:
Set-VMHost -VirtualMachinePath D:Hyper-V -VirtualExhaustingDiskPath 'D:HyperVVHD'
Creating Hyper-V Virtual Switch
Create the External Switch that’s linked to the Hyper-V Server phisical NIC and allow VM interplay with the bodily community.
Check the SR-IOV (Single-Root Input/Output (I/O) Virtualization) help:
Get the listing of linked community adapters:
Get-NetAdapter | the place
Connect your digital swap to the community adapter and allow SR-IOV help whether it is accessible.
Hint. You received’t give you the option to allow or disable SR-IOV help after you create the vswitch, and you should have to re-create the swap to change this parameter.
New-VMSwitch -Name "Extenal_network" -NetAdapterName "Ethernet 2" -EnableIov 1
Use these cmdlets to test your digital swap settings:
This completes the preliminary setup of Windows Hyper-V Server 2016/2019. You can transfer on to create and configure your digital machines.