When analyzing the server licenses utilized in our company community (with a deployed) we discovered dearer is put in on one of many host. At the identical time the server doesn’t use Datacenter options corresponding to , , Azure Stack, , and many others. There was an thought to change (downgrade) the put in Windows Server 2016 Datacenter to Standard version to get monetary savings. We didn’t take into account clear Windows Server reinstallation, as a result of some are already configured, and extra software program with hardware-related licenses had been put in on the server.
Although Microsoft helps solely Windows Server version improve utilizing DISM (see the article on how to ), you can even carry out a reverse process and downgrade the Datacenter version to Standard one preserving all present settings, put in roles and apps.
We strongly advocate to backup your working system picture earlier than performing a downgrade (not less than by Windows Server Backup).
Also be very cautious when downgrading a Windows Server with the ADDS area controller position put in. It is healthier to and demote it from a DC to domain-member server (earlier than you do it, and you may in case of any points).
- On a working Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, open the Registry Editor and go to reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion;
- Check the values of the next REG_SZ parameters: EditionID = ServerDatacenter, ProductName = Windows Server 2016 Datacenter;
- Change the values as follows:
ProductNameto Windows Server 2016 Standard;
- Close the rgedit.exe;
- Mount the set up Windows Server 2016 ISO picture and run the ;
- When deciding on the set up choices within the Windows Server Setup window, choose Upgrade and Windows Server 2016 Standard (Desktop Experience) version;
- Check the choice Keep private recordsdata and apps (if this selection is unavailable with the message “
You can’t preserve Windows settings, private recordsdata, and apps as a result of your present model of Windows may be put in in a unsupported listing”, examine the next );
- Click on the Confirm button for objects discovered. In my case, the primary merchandise mentioned Windows Server improve will not be really helpful, and it was higher to clear set up the OS, and the second mentioned that PnP and RemoteFX USB machine redirection had been disabled on this Windows model by default;
- Start the Windows Server replace. Wait until it’s over and after a number of restarts ensure that Windows 2016 Standard version is now working on the host.
This downgrade technique ought to work for all supported Windows Server variations (2012R2/2016/2019). Also you should use it to downgrade and replace the model, for instance from Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter to Windows Server 2019 Standard (though it’s not really helpful both).