When you join a brand new system to your laptop, laptop computer or pill, Windows tries to routinely set up a corresponding driver. The operation system additional tries to replace the driving force model by the Windows Update. In most instances, this method is perfect, since ensures the set up of the latest driver variations which have been verified by Microsoft. However, the consumer intentionally makes use of the previous driver variations and doesn’t need them to be up to date routinely by Windows by WindowUpdate.
Fortunately, you possibly can stop Windows 10 from routinely updating system drivers. In this text we’ll describe a number of methods we all know how to disable driver auto-update.
How to Prevent Windows 10 from Automatically Updating Specific Drivers?
You can cease computerized driver updates for a selected system in Windows 10. For instance, you’re utilizing some sort of previous (however secure) video card driver that stops working appropriately after every computerized driver replace. You need all laptop drivers to be up to date routinely, apart from the driving force for a selected system (your video card).
Microsoft suggests utilizing a separate device – wushowhide.diagcab (“Show or Hide Updates”), which permits you to conceal particular updates or drivers in Windows 10.
- You can obtain the wushowhide.diagcab utility in the Microsoft Download Center (http://obtain.microsoft.com/obtain/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab);
- Run the wushowhide.diagcab utility and choose the choice “Hide Updates“;
- In the checklist of the out there Windows updates and drivers, verify the drivers for which you need to disable the auto replace and click on Next button;
- After that, the chosen drivers is not going to be up to date manually by Windows.
You can disable particular driver updates by way of the Group Policy. First of all, you want to decide the identifier of the system for which you need to disable computerized driver updates.
- Open the system supervisor snap-in (devmgmt.msc). In the checklist discover the system you want and open its properties;
- Go to the Detail tab and choose “Hardware IDs” from the drop-down checklist;
- Copy the values of the identifiers related to the system (in the format PCIVEN_15AD&DEV_ ….) into the notepad.exe;
- In the Group Policy Editor console (gpedit.msc for native laptop or gpmc.msc for a site workstations) go to the part Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation -> Device Installation Restrictions. Enable the coverage “Prevent set up of gadgets that match any of those system IDs”;
- Click the “Show” button in the coverage settings and replica the graphic card IDs you acquired earlier into the desk of values;
- Save the modifications and replace the group insurance policies setting on the shopper with the command:
- Now, if the pc receives and downloads driver updates for these gadgets by WindowsUpdate, an error message will seem throughout their computerized set up (The set up of this system is forbidden by system coverage. Contact your system administrator).
Now you cannot replace the driving force for this system manually. To replace it, you should have to disable this group coverage setting, or take away the ID from the checklist.
Also you possibly can allow this coverage by the registry. To do that, run the registry editor (regedit.exe) and go to the registry key HKLMSOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsDeviceInstallRestrictionsDenyDeviceIDs. In this part, create string (REG_SZ) parameters with the names in order, beginning with 1 and the ID worth in every parameter.
You can disable driver updates for particular system varieties (printers, sound playing cards, USB controllers, and many others) utilizing the coverage «Prevent set up of gadgets utilizing drivers that match these system setup lessons». To do that, you want to specify the system class GUID. For instance, is a category of community adapters, and – printers, and many others.
How to Disable Driver Updates in Hardware Settings?
The simplest way to stop Windows from computerized drivers replace is to change the system settings on the Hardware tab. To do that:
- Press Win + X and click on System;
- In the Related settings part click on on the hyperlink System Info;
- In the left a part of the window, click on Advanced System Settings;
- In the following window, go to Hardware tab and click on Device Installation Settings;
- In the Device Installation Settings window, verify “No, let me select what to do” after which “Never set up driver software program from Windows Update“;
- Save modifications and restart your laptop.
How to Stop Automatic Driver Updates Using Group Policies?
You can disable system driver updates in Windows 10 by Windows Update utilizing Group Policies (it is usually simpler to configure settings on a number of computer systems in the AD area directly by way of GPO or by copying the settings of native GPOs between computer systems in the workgroup utilizing ):
- Press Win + R and kind gpedit.msc in the following window (in Windows Home editions you possibly can run the native group coverage editor like );
- In the Local Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System->Device Installation->Device Installation Restrictions;
- Find the coverage Prevent set up of gadgets not described by different coverage setting;
- Enable the coverage (“Enabled”) and save the modifications;
- Then allow the coverage “Specify search order for system driver supply areas”. This coverage is situated in the part Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation). Change the coverage setting to “Do not search Windows Update”. This coverage permits you to exclude the seek for driver updates on Windows Update websites (when putting in a driver for any Windows system, it tries to discover a extra appropriate driver by the Windows Update service);
- Go to the part Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update, discover and allow the coverage named “Do not embrace drivers with Windows Update”;
This coverage appeared in Windows 10 1607.
- You may have to disable computerized Windows updates (you should have to manually obtain safety updates from the Windows updates catalog and ). To do that, allow the coverage «Configure Automatic Update» in the part Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update. Select merchandise “2 — Notify for obtain and auto set up”.
How to Disable Driver Updates in the Registry?
In Windows 10 Home editions with no Group Policy Editor, driver updates could be turned off utilizing the Registry Editor.
- Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe);
- Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionDriverLooking out;
- In the proper panel, discover SearchOrderConfig parameter and alter its worth to zero. (Default worth is 1, which implies that the system permits driver updates);
- You additionally want to change the worth of the ExcludeWUDriversInHigh qualityUpdate parameter to 1 (in the registry key HKLMSOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdate);
- Save the modifications.
You can apply this setting with the next instructions:
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdate" /v ExcludeWUDriversInHigh qualityUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionDriverLooking out" /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d zero /f
After the reboot, the automated replace of the drivers in the system can be blocked.
Several occasions I’ve seen that directors disable driver updates after deploying a Windows 10 picture and putting in all the mandatory drivers. To do that, you possibly can disable the set up of the driving force utilizing the coverage “Prevent set up of gadgets not described by different coverage settings” (mentioned above) or the command:
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsDeviceInstallRestrictions" /v DenyUnspecified /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f