When updating the Windows 10 construct utilizing the Windows Update, the set up picture of the new (or insider) Windows construct is downloaded to the person’s pc in a brand new particular picture format – ESD (Electronic Software Download). ESD is an encrypted and compressed .WIM (Windows Imaging Format) picture file.
This picture distribution format was first used in Windows eight.1 for the on-line replace of the working system. Unlike a WIM file, an ESD picture can’t be mounted and modified. Microsoft plans to use this format extensively for system deployment. Comparing to a WIM file, an .ESD file takes 30% much less house, which is a giant benefit when it’s distributed over the Internet.
In this text, we are going to present how to decrypt and convert an ESD picture of Windows 10 to a well-recognized ISO set up picture that may be burned to an DVD or USB drive and used to cleanly set up Windows 10 or carry out an replace.
Note. In reality, the easiest method to get the set up ISO picture of Windows 10 and burn it to an USB flash drive or DVD is to use the free Media Creation Tool utility that helps you obtain the latest model of the Windows 10 picture straight from Microsoft servers.
How to get ESD file with Windows 10 picture
Let’s discover out the place to get an ESD file. When upgrading Windows eight to Windows eight.1, the set up.esd file is downloaded from Microsoft repository in a background mode and is saved to the C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload listing.
You can get the Install.ESD file with the latest Windows 10 construct by going to Start -> PC Settings -> Update and restoration -> Preview builds part on the put in system. If a brand new Windows 10 construct is out there on your system, you may be prompted to obtain and set up a brand new picture.
After the obtain is over, open Windows Explorer with out clicking Install and go to C:$Windows.~BTSources. Find Install.ESD right here (it’s hidden) and duplicate it into every other listing. This is the ESD file with the compressed picture of the latest model of Windows 10 TP.
Run the system replace to the new construct, however don’t restart the pc. During the replace course of, Windows will obtain the recordsdata which can be essential to carry out the replace. After the obtain is full, open Explorer and navigate to the C:$Windows.~BTSources listing. Find the Install.ESD file in this listing (it’s hidden) and duplicate it to every other listing. This is an .ESD file with a compressed picture of the latest Windows 10 construct.
Tip. In the put in Windows 10 Technical Preview the file might be copied from the C:RestorationImageInstall.esd folder.
To get details about which Windows photos are inside the ESD file, you need to use the commonplace DISM utility:
DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:"C:isoinstall.esd"
Deployment Image Servicing and Management software
Details for picture : C:isoinstall.esd
Index : 1
Name : Windows 10 Home
Description : Windows 10 Home
Size : 15,439,zero30,656 bytes
Index : 2
Name : Windows 10 Home Single Language
Description :Windows 10 Home Single Language
Size : 15,439,078,082 bytes
Index : three
Name : Windows 10 Education
Description :Windows 10 Education
Size : 15,662,641,239 bytes
Index : four
Name : Windows 10 Pro
Description : Windows 10 Pro
Size : 15,662,520,267 bytes
The operation accomplished efficiently.
In our instance, there are a number of system photos inside the set up.esd archive. For instance, Windows 10 Pro has an index of four.
Knowing the index of a Windows picture in an ESD file, you’ll be able to export it to a WIM file utilizing the command:
dism /export-image /SupplyImageFile:c:isoinstall.esd /SupplyIndex:four /Vacation spotImageFile: c:isowin10professional.wim /Compress:max /ExamineIntegrity
The ensuing WIM file might be transformed to an ISO picture utilizing third-party utilities.
ESD Decrypter Utility
To convert an ESD picture to an ISO file, we are going to use the command line utility ESD Decrypter (ESD ToolPackage), which might be downloaded from GitHub: https://github.com/gus33000/ESD-Decrypter/releases/. The ESD Decrypter utility relies on PowerShell, so you’ll be able to simply open its supply code (the cdimage.exe software is used to generate an ISO picture from a WIM file).
- Extract the archive four.zero.zero.zero.fbl_prerelease.gustavem.160815-0800.zip into a neighborhood folder;
- Run the file ESDISO.bat as administrator;
- The wizard will ask you to specify the path to the CryptoKeys file with the keys to decrypt the ESD picture and the path to the listing the place the closing ISO file needs to be positioned (I didn’t specify these parameters, by urgent N two instances);
- Next, specify the path to your ESD file and press Enter twice;
- Start the strategy of changing a picture in ESD format to an ISO file. Depending on the efficiency of your system, the course of will take from 20 to 30 minutes;
- After the script is completed, verify that the set up ISO file with the Windows 10 picture has appeared in the utility listing, which might be burned to DVD or the commonplace / UEFI bootable USB flash drive might be created.
Dism++ Utility for Converting the Install.esd File
To convert an ESD picture to an ISO file, you need to use a easy and handy graphical utility Dism ++ (https://www.chuyu.me/en/index.html), which does the similar factor as the ESD Decrypter script, however has a extra user-friendly graphical interface.
- Download and unzip the archive with the Dism++ utility;
- Run the executable file Dism ++ relying in your OS bitness (on Windows 10 x64 you want to run Dism++ x64.exe file);
- Accept the person settlement;
- Open the File menu and choose the menu merchandise Esd —> ISO;
- Specify the path to your ESD file that you simply saved earlier. Then specify the listing and the title of the ISO file to be created;
- Click Finish button and wait till the .esd file changing is accomplished (it takes 10-15 minutes).