Every time to login to Windows 10, a consumer has to enter password for native or Microsoft (on-line) account. This ensures a sure stage of knowledge safety in opposition to entry by third events however it’s inconvenient for residence customers because it will increase the time to entry the gadget desktop. In this handbook we’ll let you know how to take away the password request on Windows 10 (Windows Server 2016/ 2012 R2) Login Screen and the way to configure autologon below a selected account.
Warning. Automatic login is used for consumer comfort nevertheless it decreases safety stage of your laptop. Autologon solely has to be turned on if you’re the one laptop consumer and positive that no different individual can get entry to it. Otherwise, the protection of your private information is in danger.
Disabling the password dialog on the Windows 10 login display doesn’t imply that your account should not have any password. It will simply be entered mechanically by the system throughout Windows 10 startup. In all different circumstances, for instance, when accessing your PC through the community (SMB) or connecting to a distant desktop (RDP), the consumer password have to be specified handbook.
How to Disable Password Login in the User Account Settings?
The easiest method to disable password login in the settings of consumer accounts.
- Press Win+R;
- In the Run dialog field, enter
- In the following window with the checklist of native consumer accounts, uncheck “User should enter a username and password to use this laptop” and save modifications (OK);
- A window seems the place you’ve gotten to enter your present password twice and click on “OK”;
- Restart your laptop and be sure that the Windows boots straight to the desktop without getting into a password.
Note. You can’t uncheck the choice “User should enter a username and password to use this laptop” on the pc joined to the Active Directory area due to default area password coverage. In this case, the best approach to disable password request on login display is to use the registry (described under).
How to Turn On Automatic Logon in Windows Using the Registry Editor?
Let’s think about a extra frequent approach to disable password request on Windows 10 login display utilizing the Registry Editor. This approach permits to skip login display for a Microsoft account, in addition to area or native Windows 10 account.
Warning. This approach is much less safe as your password might be saved in the registry as plain textual content and may be considered by any laptop consumer.
- Press Win+R and sort
- Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon;
- Change the worth of the registry parameter AutoAdminLogon from zero to 1;
- Create a brand new string parameter DefaultDomainName, specify the area identify or a neighborhood laptop identify as its worth.
Tip. Computer identify may be discovered in System Properties or utilizing
- In the DefaultUserTitle parameter you want to specify the consumer account identify, which must be used to login (exchange it with a one other username or don’t change it);
- Create a string parameter DefaultPassword the place you will need to specify the password for the account in plain textual content;
- Close the Registry Editor and restart your laptop;
- After the Windows restart, you’ll signal in mechanically with the required account and without having to enter the password on the login display;
- To allow autologon via the registry, you need to use the next instructions. (exchange root and [email protected] along with your username and password, WORKGROUP must be changed with the identify of your AD area if the area account used):
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon" /v AutoAdminLogon /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon" /v DefaultUserTitle /t REG_SZ /d root /f
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon" /v DefaultPassword /t REG_SZ /d [email protected] /f
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon" /v ForceAutoLogon /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon" /v DefaultDomainName /t REG_SZ /d WORKGROUP /f
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon" /v IgnoreShiftOvveride /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon" /v AutoLogonRely /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
Disable Password Request in Windows 10 After Waking from Sleep
You might want to disable password request when your laptop wakeup from the sleep mode. The easiest method to do it’s to use fashionable Control Panel interface.
- Click a notification icon in the tray and choose All Settings;
- Go to Accounts -> Sign-in choices;
- In Require sign-in part, choose Never;
- You may disable login display password after waking up or exiting hibernation utilizing the Local Group Policy Editor. To do that, begin the gpedit.msc console (in the house variations of Windows 10, you’ll be able to run the native coverage editor console ). Go to the coverage part Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management -> Sleep Settings. Disable the insurance policies “Require a password when a pc wakes (on battery)” and “Require a password when a pc wakes on battery (plugged in)”;
- Now, your laptop is not going to require a password after a wakeup from sleep or hibernation.
Secure Automatic Logon Using SysInternals AutoLogon Tool
All earlier strategies of enabling autologon in Windows could not work if the pc is joined to the AD area.
For safer computerized logon to Windows 10, you need to use the AutoLogon for Windows utility. The utility was a part of the system utilities pack Sysinternals and is now obtainable for obtain on the Microsoft web site (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon).
- Download and run Autologon.exe as an administrator;
- Accept the phrases of the license settlement;
- Specify the consumer account, area and consumer password below which you need to carry out autologin and press the Enable button;
- A window will seem in which it’s indicated that the autologon is enabled. Encrypted password is saved in LSA format in the registry key HKLMSECURITYPolicySecrets and techniques and technically any native laptop administrator (however not the consumer) can decrypt it .
To disable computerized logon to Windows 10, simply click on on the Disable button.
In this handbook we checked out how to skip the Windows 10 login display by disable password login and boot the pc straight to the consumer’s desktop. To briefly disable autologon in Windows and manually choose a consumer credentials below which you want to log in, you will need to maintain down the Shift key whereas Windows is booting.