Using Group Policies, you possibly can create a shortcut to a particular app on the desktops of all (or sure) area customers. GPO lets you create a shortcut for a regionally put in app, a URL, an executable file on a shared community folder or a website controller (the folder).
In this instance we are going to present you the way to create a number of shortcuts on a person’s desktop utilizing Group Policy Preferences (out there beginning with Windows Server 2008 R2). In the identical method you possibly can create shortcuts in Windows 10 Start Menu or Quick Access Toolbar.
- Open the Group Policy Management Console (
gpmc.msc), right-click an AD container (Organizational Unit) you wish to apply a shortcut creation coverage to and create a brand new coverage (a GPO object) named CreateShortcut;
- Right-click on the created coverage and choose Edit;
- Go to the Group Policy Preferences part: User Configuration –> Preferences -> Windows Settings -> Shortcuts. Click it and choose New -> Shortcut;
- Create a brand new shortcut merchandise with the next settings:
File System Object(you possibly can choose a URL or a Shell object right here)
In this instance, we are going to put a shortcut solely on the desktop of the present person. Here you possibly can select the place to put your shortcut: Start Menu, Startup or All User Desktops.
C:InstallTCPViewTcpview.exe(a path to the file you wish to create a shortcut for)
Icon file path:
C:InstallTCPViewTcpview.exe(a path to the shortcut icon)
- If you’ve chosen to put the shortcut on the Desktop of the present person (Location = Desktop), examine the Run in logged-on person’s safety context (person coverage choice) on the Common tab;
- If you wish to create a shortcut for particular customers solely, to a separate AD area group. Then you need to use Group Policy Targeting to deploy a shortcut to members of that safety group. Enable the Item-level focusing on and click on the Targeting button. Select New Item -> Security Group and select the area group. As a consequence, the applying shortcut will seem just for customers added to the desired Active Directory safety group;
- If you wish to create an app shortcut within the Public profile (for all laptop customers), choose Location = All User Desktop (disable the “Run in logged-on person’s safety context” choice since non-admin customers do not need the permissions to switch the Public profile);
- Save the modifications. Note that Desktop (
%DesktopDir%) and All User Desktop (
%CommonDesktopDir%) atmosphere variables are displayed within the GPO console;
- Update the insurance policies on your shoppers (
gpupdate /pressureor by logoff/logon).If you’ve linked a GPO to an Organizational Unit containing laptop objects (as a substitute of customers), you need to additionally allow the GPO loopback choice. Set Configure person Group Policy loopback processing mode =
Mergein Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Group Policy.
- After the insurance policies have been up to date, a person will see a brand new shortcut on the desktop;
You can add a number of guidelines to creating app shortcuts for various teams of customers, computer systems or OUs in a single GPO (you possibly can set totally different standards of making use of a shortcut coverage utilizing GPP Item Level Targeting).
Let’s add the
Logoff shortcut to the desktops of all customers to allow them to rapidly finish their session.
Create a brand new coverage merchandise with the next settings:
- Name = “
- Location = “
All Users Desktop”
- Target Path =
- Icon File Path =
(Use the usual library with the generally used Windows icons. Select the icon you need within the DLL file. Its index will seem within the Icon Index subject.)