Surely you’ve been confronted with this urgent dilemma earlier than: cantaloupe vs. honeydew. Personally, I wouldn’t pit them towards one another in a heavyweight battle. Both cantaloupe (Cucumis melo var. cantalupensis) and honeydew (Cucumis melo var. inodorus) are low in energy and fats, and wealthy in important micronutrients.
Both of those melons come from the cucurbitaceae household, and so they pair nicely collectively as substances in a fruit salad. At the top of the day, it’s actually about particular person choice. If you don’t like one in every of these Cucumis melo fruits, then go away it on the shelf…except your weight loss program is severely missing in or vitamin C.
Cantaloupe vs. Honeydew: Physical Characteristics
When it involves the distinction between cantaloupe and honeydew, two main components are shade and texture. A honeydew melon has a clean, light-colored rind and inexperienced flesh, whereas cantaloupe typically has a netted rind that’s darker in shade, and has orange flesh.
From a dietary standpoint, they’re very related; the one obvious distinction, actually, is that cantaloupe comprises considerably extra vitamin A and vitamin C than honeydew.
Cantaloupe vs. Honeydew: Nutrition Profiles
Cantaloupe and honeydew have very related diet profiles, however their shade distinction additionally signifies a dietary distinction. For instance, cantaloupe’s orange flesh carries a variety of carotenoids, that are a precursor to vitamin A. Put merely, cantaloupe has much more vitamin A.
When it involves energy; water content material; macronutrient profile; and nutritional vitamins and minerals like B6, B9 (folate), potassium, and magnesium; and fiber content material, the 2 are nearly similar.
|1 Cup||Cantaloupe (160 g, cubed)||Honeydew (170 g, diced)|
|Total Carbohydrates||13.7 g||15.5 g|
|Fiber||1.four g||1.5 g|
|Sugar||12.three g||13.eight g|
|Vitamin A||106% DV (Daily Value)||2% DV|
|Vitamin C||95% DV||51% DV|
|Vitamin B6||6% DV||7% DV|
|Folate||eight% DV||eight% DV|
|Potassium||12% DV||11% DV|
|Magnesium||5% DV||four% DV|
Cantaloupe vs. Honeydew: Flavor Profile
For probably the most half, these two melons have comparatively related flavors. It’s in all probability why you get one or the opposite—or each, if you happen to’re fortunate—in your plate while you exit for breakfast. Honeydew is a bit sweeter than cantaloupe, however they’re virtually interchangeable in recipes.
I discover honeydew to be each sweeter and extra crisp than cantaloupe, and customarily choose it. But make no mistake: there’s zero disappointment if my breakfast is served with a aspect of cantaloupe.
Cantaloupe and honeydew additionally typically seem collectively in recipes. It’s frequent for fruit salads, for instance, to function each. They are each appropriate for cocktail recipes, salad recipes, and as candy accompaniments to any meal or dessert.
Because their style is so related and finally decided by private choice, give them each a attempt to see if you happen to choose one over the opposite.
Culinary Uses for Cantaloupe and Honeydew
Cantaloupe and honeydew are extraordinarily versatile and may add some sweetness and refreshment to nearly any meal, snack, or drink. You can minimize them up and eat them uncooked as a snack, or attempt them in:
- Bubble tea
- Ice pops
- Chilled soups
Melon pairs extraordinarily nicely with savory meals like pork, and goes nicely with as a snack with different fruits or nuts.
Cantaloupe and Honeydew Facts
- Historians imagine the cantaloupe originated in elements of Africa and probably as far east as present-day India or China.
- The cantaloupe takes its title from the French “cantaloup,” which derived from the Italian “Cantalupo,” a papal residence the place the melon was grown someday through the European Renaissance.
- Cantaloupes vary from six to 10 inches in size, and may weigh between one and 11 kilos.
- The trailing cantaloupe vine produces yellow flowers which have each female and male reproductive organs.
- A ripe cantaloupe feels heavy for its measurement, with a tan or cream-colored rind.
- Cantaloupe’s vitamin A content material may also help promote the health and development of recent tissue, and due to this fact is nice for pores and skin, hair, and nails.
- Although the precise origins of the honeydew melon are unclear, it’s thought to have originated in both the Middle East or the African tropics.
- “Honeydew” is the American title for a French cultivar often called White Antibes, which was cultivated in Algeria and southern France for international export.
- The melon has a rounded/oval form, is 4 to eight inches lengthy, and weighs a mean of 5 to 6 kilos.
- Bees are integral to the honeydew pollination course of.
- A completely ripe melon options very faintly wrinkled pores and skin, white flesh, and a subtly candy scent.
- The total honeydew melon is edible, together with the seeds and peel.
- The honeydew is taken into account the sweetest of all melon varieties.
The most vital reality is that nevertheless you select so as to add extra fruit and greens into your weight loss program—on the expense of refined, processed, and high-added sugar meals—it’s best to expertise both health advantages or decreased dangers for numerous circumstances.
, for instance, present in each melons, can promote wholesome pores and skin and hair by constructing and sustaining collagen. Vitamin C can also be important for sturdy immune operate.
Both melons are a superb supply of antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which support eye health and should assist forestall age-related macular degeneration (AMD). AMD is the main reason behind imaginative and prescient impairment in older adults.
Both of those melons are optimum for hydration. Not solely are they every about 90% water, they comprise important electrolytes like potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium. This makes each honeydew and cantaloupe good snacks for the lengthy, scorching, lazy (or lively) days of summer time.
Cantaloupe vs. Honeydew: Take Your Pick!
All stated and performed, if you happen to actually have a hankering for some extra vitamin A or are usually not actually getting it anyplace else in your weight loss program, you could need to take cantaloupe over honeydew. But largely, the selection can come down to private style and whether or not you’d choose to take a look at one thing inexperienced or orange.